What a lovely city – third largest in Norway and the surrounding area known as the breadbasket of the country since most of the food crops are produced around this area. Not counting coffee of course, though Norway is the second largest consumer of coffee!
We arrived via Kong Harald Hurtigruten ferry boat from Bergen (yeah, these are totally out of order, but just lazy) about 9am, found our Airbnb guest house just a 13 minute walk from the harbour. Got settled in, then headed for the Nidaros Cathedral, The Archbishop’s Palace Museum, The Crown Regalia, and The Armoury. We managed to arrive at such time to watch a filming of an upcoming local show, view the Crown Regalia, then attend the 25 minute English speaking tour of the Cathedral at noon, then enjoy a 25 minute organ recital played on the 1739 Wagner organ at 1pm, climbed the tower at 1:30 tour, then off for the 2pm tour of the Archbishop’s Palace. Worked out very well. We have no inside photos since they are not allowed.
After a short rest, we were ready for the evening adventure. We walked along the very popular harbour which was abuzz with bar hoppers and masses of people enjoying great food in the many restaurants. We continued on, however, to Kristiansten Fortress which was only 1.8 kilometers from our apartment. Many of the area attractions are close in to within walking distance of the harbour.
We certainly could have used at least one more day here in Trondheim. Especially with mid August being shoulder season and some of the attractions open late and/or close early. There were a couple attractions that would require grabbing the bus and going out of town that i would have liked to have included.
We’ve been incredibly fortunate to have clear skies and warm temperatures here. The high yesterday was 62 and today is forecasted 72! Alas, we are headed for the train station about 9a to catch our flight back to Oslo for another short visit.
Kristiansten Fortress – An absolute must visit – we went in the evening and stay until past sunset, but photos taken in the morning from here would yield stunning vistas of the town and harbour. History: It was built after the city fire of Trondheimin 1681 to protect the city against attack from the east. Construction was finished in 1685. It fulfilled its purpose in 1718 when Swedish forces laid siege against Trondheim. The fortress was decommissioned in 1816 by king Charles XIV John.