One would think you could just pull in and start with tillage for planting crops as part of my fescue elimination project. Alas, that isn’t true in my case. Since i had subdivided the 120 acres into 6 paddocks with 2 wire hi-tensile electric wire, all this had to be wound up and stowed for replacement after 4 years as per my plan. Old fence posts and wired had to be pulled up and stacked for burning when time allows and entrance gateway had to be widened.
There’s been a 16 foot gate here for longer than i’ve been alive, although this is a new gate i had installed about 5 years ago. But, 16 foot opening is far too narrow to pull in comfortably with big equipment, although you’d be amazed at what a skilled driver can get through!
So, this is the new look – set two new corner posts and hung two 16 foot gates. Very professionally done by Jim Fitzgerald.
HUGE thank you and shout out to North Central Missouri Electric Coop for quickly removing, not only the lines from the transformer to the meter pole, but also my farm lines from the meter pole to windmill pump. About an 1/4 of a mile’s worth. While i did the ground work of chaining the pole to the front end loading, Dallas pulled the posts. Afterward, i dragged them to a burn pile with my Gator.
The electric company removed the wires from two tall poles which were on my property. Our little tractor had to shove a bit on the pole, then really hunker down to get these poles pulled up. As you can see, they are buried quite deep. Instead of burning these poles, they were cut to length and used as the corner posts for my new gateways!
Old fence left over from who knows when still across the pasture with wire buried and tangled. What a mess but at last we prevailed.
Here are half the posts from that fence. These will all burnt in a pile. Would make good firewood if they weren’t full of staples and wires. The corner posts were too heavy for me to lift into the bucket, so we just used the tractor to pull them ’round to the burn pile – it wasn’t far.
An old home built load out chute we drug up out of the middle of the pasture.
With most posts pulled up, Dallas is building me a low water crossing while I pull the remaining posts to burn pile and roll up another half a quarter mile of hi-tensile wire. Weather is perfect for working but I’m about out of steam!
I bet you were wondering how I can roll up 12 gauge hi-tensile electric wire. The key is this spinning jenny from Powerflex Fence. Don’t do this without a spinning jenny Notice the rolls of wire I stored nearby; ready to roll back out after the 4 year renovation. All told, I rolled up a bit more than 2 miles of hi-tensile wire and pulled some 140 fiberglass posts. Many were 1 inch and were easily pulled by hand. I hauled them all home and have them stored on a pallet in the barn.
Here you can see the old hand strung electric line from way up at the barn down to the electrified pump. It used to be run only with the windmill, but there is not enough reliable wind to make that very viable. Anyway, those were the posts Dallas and I pulled up.
Dallas and I did this in a couple days of remarkable weather in November!