So, i didn’t find any buyers for the old farm machinery i found on one of my farms last fall, so i put it on display! Crazy, i know, but it’s either that, or they go to scrap iron for 4 cents a pound.
The two smaller pieces were fairly simple to wrangle into place, but the riding one bottom plough required the use of tractor and front end loader to lift into place. Son, Dallas, took care of that. He also was the muscle behind getting the shaft on the big wheel rotated so that it would set level. I applied liberal amounts of rust buster stuff as well as loosened the rust around the opening with maul and punch. Thankfully, the set screw came loose easily. Using an old wagon jack, i lifted the low side up, then we started with the big pipe wrench, then as the shaft moved closer into place, i switched to a smaller wrench and a cheater bar. Like i said, Dallas put all the grunt into the actual move.
There is one more piece i plan to move into my antique garden – maybe i’ll have time next week.
Life on the Farm!