An excellent non meat recipe. But meat can easily be layered on and consider other vegetables. Pictured here, I used sliced zucchini from my garden and added ground chicken breast from pastured poultry raised by my friends at Pigeon Creek Farm.
Cheese and Rice Casserole (Riso e Formaggio)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice (or barley or couscous or any combination thereof)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon red pepper sauce (optional
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion (I used green onions)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat water, rice, salt, mustard, red pepper sauce, and pepper to boiling, stirring once or twice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. (Do not lift cover or stir.) Remove from heat. Fluff rice lightly with fork; cover and let steam 5 to 10 minutes.
Layer half the rice mixture in bottom of greased 11 x 7 x 1 ½ inch baking dish. Top with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (and 1 cup vegetable if desired); repeat. Whisk together 4 eggs and 2 ½ cups of milk then pour over rice mixture. Sprinkle with ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese. (Casserole can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hours at this point.) Cook uncovered in 350°F oven until set; 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares.