Cold, windy, blustery, and a bit of snow flurries. Forecasted up to 5 inches, but i sure hope we miss that!
- 2 lbs grass finished ground beef
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion flakes or one large fresh onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder ((optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro or parsley flakes (double for fresh)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic (or up to 10 cloves of fresh garlic)
- 6 cups water or beef broth
- 1/2 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried navy beans
- 1/2 cup dried black beans
- 45 ounces or so tomato sauce
In a 6 quart kettle, brown the 2 lbs ground beef; drain if necessary. Add all ingredients except tomato sauce, to pot and bring to boil, stir, cover, and lower heat to slow boil. Simmer at least 3 hours or until beans are softened.
Stir in 45 ounces or so of tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Notes: adjust ingredients as desired – flexibility is key in cooking – use whatever combination of beans you like. Chopped tomatoes work as well and gives a different texture to the chili. (see cover photo)