Part 4 of my sharing a summation of thoughts and ideas of managing a profitable farm by Marcius Cato and published by Forgotten Books.
The overseer should be responsible for the duties of the house keeper. If the master has given her to you for a wife, you should be satisfied with her, and she should respect you.
- not be given to wasteful habits
- no gossiping
- don’t receive visitors in the kitchen or her quarters
- don’t attend parties
- no gadding about
- practice religion with the permission of the master or mistress
- be neat in appearance
- keep the house ‘swept and garnished’
- every night the hearth is swept and clean
- prepare food for overseer and hands
- have plenty of chickens and an abundance of eggs
- diligently put up all kinds of preserves every year