Doing MUCH better with ragweed allergies to the point that, as long as i stay far away from the plants themselves, i can spend considerable time outside without effects and even without taking meds. Almost back to health.
So, during this transition, i’ve taken the task of dragging all our bits and pieces of feedbunks together and making a plan to repair and rebuild to the extent of my ability and with no other expense except labour and reasonable amount of time.
This feedbunk frame will be attended to last – i think this chrysalis is still going, so i’ll wait until the monarch butterfly emerges.
Drill hole through liner and into the metal frame, then screw in these screws to hold tub in bunk properly.
After the tub is screwed into place, the bunk is turned over to reveal all the missing braces that will need replacing.
I dragged an old mangled gate out of the trash pile to cut to length for the bunk braces. This DeWalt sawzall (reciprocating saw) does the job in no time.
After cutting a piece of the gate to 30 inches, it is placed in the bench vise as shown.
Then with some muscles, I crank down the vise to squish each end flat.
After marking proper placement for the hole, i use the drill press to make it easier to drill a hole on each end.
Then mark the spot on the feedbunk and drill a hole through the brace with my handheld cordless DeWalt drill.
Line up my newly made brace with the existing brace on the bunk and run a bolt through. I’m not spending any money on this project, so using old bolts we already had. However, i discovered the old bolts were fine thread, so i did have to purchase fine thread hex nuts at $.19/each from Orscheln’s.
Ripping old board salvaged from another project into four strips to be used as replacement runners on feedbunks.
Drilled then bolted runner to existing rotted metal runner.
Project almost complete.
Added chains on one end to make it easier to hook onto to move the bunk around. Chains are leftovers from old and mangled gates.