A couple weeks ago, i needed to take out some hay to my cows. So i did so 2 at a time since i was concerned that our hay trailer would be damaged by the road conditions. After a few trips, i thought of videotaping the last stretch on the gravel road.
A week or so after this video, the roads dried a bit and the road mender made a much needed pass. Much better now.
Although, the dangerous hole over the culvert on Cotton Road on the north side of my property was well repaired (i forgot to take a photo), the rest of the 1 mile stretch remains untouched. However, since it is mostly dry, i can carefully navigate it in my JD Gator.
Typical farm day – nothing exciting – but each activity was successful and that makes for a rewarding, yet exhausting day. I’ll be sore tomorrow, but Panadol and Pukka tea will help me relax for a good night’s sleep. Rain forecasted for all day tomorrow, so inside work.
Son, Dallas, expertly maneuvered the tractor to level previously hauled dirt in the corral, then we laid large sheets of geotextile fabric i had previously cut, then the 1 1/2 inch gravel was piled and leveled on top. All this is in preparation for my new cattle working tub which we hope can be installed next week after these rains.
While he was finishing up (and i kept supervising), i had time to walk my weaned calves 1/2 mile from their 5 acre paddock to pasture. Grass isn’t growing very fast yet, so i hauled two square bales of hay – one good brome and one alfalfa to supplement. However, the calves are still very much more interested in grazing the bit of green. It’s a bit of work to feed the square bales since they have to be pushed off a flake at a time. Each bale weighs 700 lbs.
Back home, i spent the remainder of the afternoon and evening shoveling soil in a wheelbarrow and moving it to some containers and low spots in my garden. Then loaded about 30 4 ft old hedge posts onto the flatbed pickup to haul to a neighbour to use as firewood.
This time of year, the killdeer are laying eggs and setting on them. Officially a shorebird (plover), but often found in short pastures and especially along gravel drives on dry ground. The wary mommas will lead predators away from the nest by running, then acting as if she is injured.
As a first step of my endophyte infected fescue eradication and pasture renovation project, today was the big day of tillage. My husband had purchased a Howard Rotavator 600, which is 10 foot wide sod-cutting and chewing machine and the soil (actually just dirt, it’s in pathetic condition) it’s been through gave it a real workout. Even the tractor couldn’t keep up and i had to sidle over and only take 2′-5′ bite of new sod at times, especially going up hill. This first pass took place on May 17-18, 2017.
One pass tillage next to existing stand of grass. Serious clay content. Methinks some of this worked up harder than if i took down the gravel road!
All in all, i mapped out about 18 acres actually tilled. There are about 25 acres total in the area being renovated, however, because of the steep slopes, several acres are left alone to serve as grassy waterways. I wonder, however, as hard as the ground is, if the tilled portions won’t actually hold and stop more water than the hard pan waterways. Hmmm.
So far, 12 hours spent (1.5 acres per hour) tilling, but not counting time servicing tractor and machine or time spent getting to/from the farm. Tractor uses about 7.7 gallons diesel fuel per hour, so 92.5 gallons there. Second pass should take a bit less time, but we’ll see!
We received a big storm last night with about an inch of rain, so the second pass won’t happen for a few days – depending on weather. Allen will be right behind the second rotatiller pass with the Einbach harrow/seeder and my selected annual grass mix.