Last year, i ordered my garden seeds at regular time and then the plandemic took over with seeds arriving very late relegating my planting selections to whatever i had on hand – which was plenty – no complaints. A bit short on lettuce which is a favorite at our household.
My seed order finally arrived too late to plant, so those will be planted this year along with those i ordered about a month ago which just arrived today (11FEB21).
I like ordering from Seed Savers Exchange located in Decorah, Iowa. They seem to be serious about banking heirloom seeds. They are way behind filling orders now, so if you plan to order, do it now!
As you may remember, my husband was beat up by a mature bull last summer and ended up in hospital and eventually ICU for several days. Fortunately, and against all odds, he was back on a four wheeler and checking cattle in 15 days from the incident!! So the tomato story comes from his nurse in ICU who gave us some heirloom seeds he had saved – a tomato called “Ivan”. The seeds he share were prolific with high germination rate, so i had far more plants that i could possible use. i just had to end up throwing them away. However, a 25 foot row of about 20 plants produced ample enough fresh eating and canning for our family until next year’s crop is ready.
“Ivan” i learnt is a native tomato of Missouri which was apparently in need of rescuing! My plants were not properly pruned or staked, so i had a lot of vines which no doubt took away from crop production. But, i simply didn’t have time. If Yah allows, I’ll be ready next year with panels and time to care for the plants properly. These tomatoes are delicious.
I may not be the queen of repurposing, but i do try my best. Not able to find and purchase valances of the right length and type i wanted for my kitchen windows had me tying on my thinking cap. Of course! Old pillowcases! Of all the households’ worth of stuff we have in storage, surely i could find something that would work without using an heirloom. It took me longer to scrounge through all the scraps than it did to make the valances. A couple mismatched yellowed and gross pillowslips were found and put to a new purpose and they are exactly what i had in mind!