Tag Archives: repair

Repairing/Rebuilding Trashed Feed Bunks

Doing MUCH better with ragweed allergies to the point that, as long as i stay far away from the plants themselves, i can spend considerable time outside without effects and even without taking meds.  Almost back to health.

So, during this transition, i’ve taken the task of dragging all our bits and pieces of feedbunks together and making a plan to repair and rebuild to the extent of my ability and with no other expense except labour and reasonable amount of time.

image

image
This feedbunk frame will be attended to last – i think this chrysalis is still going, so i’ll wait until the monarch butterfly emerges.
image
Drill hole through liner and into the metal frame, then screw in these screws to hold tub in bunk properly.
image
After the tub is screwed into place, the bunk is turned over to reveal all the missing braces that will need replacing.
image
I dragged an old mangled gate out of the trash pile to cut to length for the bunk braces.  This DeWalt sawzall (reciprocating saw) does the job in no time.
image
After cutting a piece of the gate to 30 inches,  it is placed in the bench vise as shown.
image
Then with some muscles, I crank down the vise to squish each end flat.
image
After marking proper placement for the hole, i use the drill press to make it easier to drill a hole on each end.
image
Then mark the spot on the feedbunk and drill a hole through the brace with my handheld cordless DeWalt drill.
image
Line up my newly made brace with the existing brace on the bunk and run a bolt through. I’m not spending any money on this project, so using old bolts we already had.  However, i discovered the old bolts were fine thread, so i did have to purchase fine thread hex nuts at $.19/each from Orscheln’s.
image
Ripping old board salvaged from another project into four strips to be used as replacement runners on feedbunks.

 

image
Drilled then bolted runner to existing rotted metal runner.

 

image
Project almost complete.
image
Added chains on one end to make it easier to hook onto to move the bunk around.  Chains are leftovers from old and mangled gates.
image
Finished!

Rehanging A Curtain Rod

Repairs on the farm, in the house, car, whatever are neverending.  When renovating our old house to be used as a guest house (into which we subsequently moved), it was challenging to deal with the old plaster walls when it comes to hanging things. Some months back, I had to ‘rehang’ this curtain rod.

Check out this helpful wikihelp site for determining the best equipment to use for your specific situation;  How to Put Anchor Screws In A Wall

Curtain Rod repair
Sometimes the plaster just crumbles immediately, sometimes, like this case, it took a couple of years, and the screws and plastic anchors pull out.

 

curtain rod repair
Fill holes with nail hole repair stuff and let dry.
curtain rod repair
Carefully sand it down with steel wool.
Curtain rod repair
Fill the holes with nail hole repair.
curtain rod repair
Drill new holes and insert new plastic screw anchors
curtain rod repair
Touch up paint on repaired wall and reattach rod bracket
Curtain rod repair
Voila! Good as before!
Curtains
I really like the curtain rod rings – especially for applications where you might be opening and shutting the curtains oftens. They just glide so nicely by hand without all the challenges of installing traverse rods.

Bright Sunshine!

That forecasted rain hit about 9:30 pm and just poured for about 5 minutes – storm over.  The Mizzou game in Columbia, MO, however, looked like miseryfor a LONG time – it didn’t help that the hometown team lost badly.

Today dawned clear and bright and i managed to clean the frig, wash a load of laundry, feed the calves, wash windows, and start the oven cleaning before the day got started.

Paperwork has been gathered for my trip to Chillicothe in the afternoon to the license bureau.   Allen and I had planned to purchase the pickup through bartering, however, i found out at the license bureau that that can only be done throught a dealership!  No private transactions.  That doesn’t sound fair.  So, of course, i had to pay sales tax after all.  The inspection for the pickup resulted in a $600 repair bill!!

I took some photos of an old McCormick International seed drill that I listed for sale on Powell Seed Farm, Inc facebook page.  It is old and small by today’s standards, but it would be perfect for someone starting out or for use in grass paddock improvements.

Stopped in Meadville at my friend’s house and we had a serious heart to heart visit.  I cannot imagine going through life without a close friend with whom each can share our joys, concerns, and heartaches.

Slow late afternoon since i’d allowed plenty of time for the license bureau, yet i was in and out in less than half an hour!  Fed the calves, worked on my chicken tractor (this is my 9th design and build of chicken tractors and eggmobiles).  I’ve been at the chicken tractor for months, but it’s the lowest item on my priority list, so I seldom have time to piddle around with it.  Had hoped to have it done before i butcher our last 14 hens so as to see if it works, but that may not happen.  Might get chicks next spring, but might not.  I may just enjoy not having extra chores, but it’s fun building stuff – it just won’t get used.

Shabbat Shalom!

tauna