At long last my feeble attempt at building a much–needed bookshelf out of the boards from our old horse barn that was located at the Lamme Farm is complete. Most of the delay was due to the super cold and long winter.
Final portrait before starting tear down of the horse barn at the Lamme Farm. – 2014
The old barn was past its prime.
Salvaging side lumber.
Boards in storage. I did have a bed made from these boards a few years ago, but hadn’t made anything until this bookshelf i recently completed.
Lots and lots of sanding to remove layers of old paint. My husband won’t let me buy a planer – says they are too dangerous. Hmmm, but he has no problem with me running a table saw, chainsaw, reciprocating saw, circular saw, jig saw, band saw, and working cattle all day long.
Putting on the final sanding. Still without a planer, there are gouges which don’t show up until i add stain or other finish.
I loaded this 6 foot tall unit into and out of my pickup, then into the house and up a set of curved stairs. Good thing it’s not heavy! A bit awkward. The shelves are removable.
A point of interest is that the Monocoat Pure wood conditioner/stain i used shows the difference between the ‘front’ of the boards (the side that was painted and exposed to outside weather) and the ‘back’ of the boards (shown here and the side without paint and inside the barn). The back or inside stained darker. I don’t know why.
Here is the ‘front’ or outside painted side of the boards – showing a warmer finish than the darker reverse side.
Not much organization, but it’s gonna hold a lot of books. i’m encouraged to put another build on my ‘to do’ list once i get all my other ‘to build’ items completed.
Have a great week!
The barn, and later our house, was razed, shingles removed, and the rubble burnt. Not much left after we salvaged so much from it. (the house was removed in a truck since it is illegal to burn a house – even out here in the boonies)